Unlike mass-produced pieces, Amish furniture resists most of the stains, scratches and abrasions due to its post-catalyzed finish. However, as with any valuable possession, you should take proper care of it. Maintaining it isnt either difficult or time-consuming but rewarding. You will have a home with beautiful Amish furniture that appears as new as the day you buy it.
Here are some practical tips to keep your furnishings clean.
1. Keep Amish furniture away from heat sources and direct sunlight. If you have to place furniture near an air duct, use a shield to put the heat away.
2. Since extreme heat can destroy the finish, avoid putting hot dishes directly on your dining room tables. Cover up a table with a tablecloth or a serving plate when serving hot meals.
3. The perfect environment for Amish furniture is one with 35-45% humidity. Its best to buy a humidifier so that you can measure it. The other way from protecting your furniture from shrinking and swelling is not to expose it to direct sunlight.
4. You should dust it with a clean, soft cloth or feather duster every few days or so. Although the finish is resistant to most spots and spills, they should be wiped up with a damp cloth and warm, soapy water.
5. Amish furniture needs deep cleaning or polishing once or twice a year. By buffing it you make scratches less visible. Apply silicon-free polish on a soft cloth and rub the surface. Wipe it dry with another dry cloth.
6. Keep chemicals and cosmetics such as nail polish, acetone, deodorants and makeup away from your furniture because they have alcohols that can harm the finishes.
7. Avoid keeping objects on a surface of solid wood furniture for a long time. If piece of furniture is exposed to direct sunlight objects can also leave marks.
8. When placing glasses or tea mugs on tables use coasters to avoid water rings. However, if you forget to do so just wipe the table with a clean, dry cloth.
9. If your furniture has been stored for a long time it can pick up the unpleasant odor. To keep it smelling fresh spray it with baking soda, and put charcoal inside drawers to absorb the smells emanating from them.
10. For tougher stains such as crayon marks, use mayonnaise and leave it there for a few minutes. Then, wipe it with a damp cloth and polish with a soft one. Dark spots from water can be removed by applying the white paste and baking soda on the surface. In the end, buff it with a dry cloth.
11. To clean a glass surface on furniture it is best to use streak-free formulation products. These products enable cleaning varnished wood furniture, mirrors and glass quickly and easily.